Kickstarter Update #10: Planning Ahead

You can also view this update on Kickstarter.

It’s been a slow week for the Kickstarter campaign, but a busy week with making plans for future projects. I’ve finished putting the final polishes and revisions to “The Poetry of Gabriella Palladino,” and started thinking about future poetry. As I’ve mentioned before, the poems in this collection were written over the course of about the past two and a half years, and they’ve been through several revisions in the meantime (a couple of them I think I revised 5 or 6 times before I got them perfect). What I hadn’t done in a long time, however, was to write any new poetry. That’s the consequence of working so hard on revisions; there isn’t as much time left to devote to new material.

In the last few days, however, I’ve written first drafts of two new poems based on Gabby’s life. They won’t be included in this poetry collection, since like the other poems, they’ll need multiple revisions before they’re ready to be released. What I plan to do is work on a new series of poems, which will most likely follow the events of Gabby’s life in the second novel in the series, “Contamination.” The poems in the first collection primarily relate to the first novel, “Manifestation.” The way I’m planning things, by the time “Contamination” is complete and ready for publication, I should have another 10-20 poems ready to include in another collection. If I run another future Kickstarter, I’ll probably include both the first and second poetry collections as rewards (combining them into a single set). That way, anyone who backed this project and who also considers backing a future project will have something new available as a reward.

Of course, there’s still 12 days left on this project, and even though it’s met the initial goal, I’m still hoping for some more backers to get involved so that I can hit the first stretch goal. I’ve been studying Kickstarter campaigns, and I’ve read some articles that show many campaigns have a “lull” in the middle, then come back strong with a rush of funding at the end. That would make a big difference, so I’m thinking ahead now and trying to plan some ways to give this project that extra push that it needs to get over the next goal.

In order to do that, I’ve been working on an advertising campaign through “Project Wonderful.” If you’re not familiar with it, “Project Wonderful” is an advertising service that allows individuals to bid on ad space, similar to how you can bid for products on eBay. The good part about this service is that it allows you to set limits on the amount you’ll spend for advertising, and you only get charged for the length of time your ad remains up (so if another bidder outbids you, you stop getting charged). The ad campaign has helped spread the project to a new potential audience of thousands, though it’s yet to be seen how many of those in the “potential” audience will actually prove interested.

It also helps a great deal when others lend a hand spreading the word. A friend of mine from Twitter, Rachel Lynn Brody, was kind enough to post this project on her daily online newspaper. This kind of support is wonderful and I’m very grateful for the help. The more people who see the project, the more there are who might take an interest in it, and every little bit helps.

Thank you for your ongoing support, and a double thank you to the people I’ve seen tweeting links to the project and helping spread the word!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s